Saturday, May 14, 2011

The ER

This is  a place I want to forget, but can't...

There are images stuck in my head from that day...  

The small room they bring you to...you know, but you don't want to believe...

The doctor..."I'm so sorry...we did all we could."

The screaming...the hitting...breaking that phone...crumbling in the corner...

The walk to see her...the hallway....the stares...

Stepping into that room...seeing her...the disbelief...

She was so cold...her face...her mouth...her hair...  

Back to the small room.  Calling her parents...calling my parents...calling my brother...

Back to her room...more stares...more disbelief...

Not wanting to leave her...trying to feel connected one last time...

Running my hands over her body...looking for a spot that still holds life...

The drive home...telling the boys...the pain...the crying...

Ben staring at the cross hanging above Luke's closet...

In bed with the boys on either side...unable to sleep...laying in disbelief...

Knowing life would never be the same...because it was forever changed...

No comments:

Post a Comment