Thursday, July 14, 2011

God's Plan

I have moved from thinking she's coming back...to wondering where she is.

Before Susan's death...I had an acceptable notion of Heaven and the afterlife...one that met my needs at the time.  It seemed rational for grandparents, uncles and even some friends to have gone to "a better place."  My mind never questioned the existence of someone after death...as a spirit...a ghost...I didn't know.  I just accepted that they were somewhere...better...and happy.  Maybe even looking down on me...guiding...smiling...enjoying my life.

Where did this notion come from?  Was I spoon fed it as a child?  Was it an easy answer...less messy than thinking?

My mind no longer runs that same course...it seems impossible to believe that any longer. Susan's death should not be explained away with platitudes and antidotes...it can't be that easy...that simple.  I question those who think as I used to...and those who constantly refer to God's plan.  Have they lost someone...so close...so early...so unfairly...and without warning?

As we age and go through the cycle of our lives...we know that death is ahead.  When people are old or sick or suffering, perhaps these revelations make sense.  But for a young family to be struck...for a mother to be ripped from her boys...for a woman to be stripped of her dreams?  How could she be happy...or in a better place now?  Her place was with us...she was happy with her boys...with me.

Susan was the heart of our family...the love of my life...I just can't take that leap of faith anymore.  I see the pain in my boys and I can feel it rush through my veins.  If there is someplace else...I know she is feeling much the same.  How is that better...how is that happy?

Many think I have never believed in God, but that is not true.  I believe in a higher being, but not a organized religion that glosses over my questions...with rote answers...meant to pacify...meant to explain her death away.  The problem for me is not accepting that there is a God, but believing a God could be so cruel...so randomly or purposefully cruel as to destroy those that are so innocent and true.

I've seen it happen to others, but because of distance...I could sweep it aside...brush it from my mind and accept it without thought...and just go on faith.  Now death is different.  It is real...it is harsh.  It stole my love, my partner, the mother of my children.

In my mind many questions arise...contentions I should have had long ago...when friends suffered as I do now.  But it was simpler...easier...to let my faith cast them aside and accept that not everything is meant to be explained.

Surely I will be judged for these thoughts I have written tonight...but only by those who have not been forced to comprehend them...to endure them...to answer them.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Sean,
    the way you write.....you take the words out of my mind that i find very hard to express.From Day one i have been a follower of your blogs.My love got stolen from me on 12/25/2010.I was 7 months pregnant then and 7 months pregnant.Roy passed away due to brain aneurysm.Our baby girl was born on 2nd April.She ...will never know her father like i knew him...
    I went to the cemetry on jan 19th..i dont know what i thought..i thought the place will call back to me...but NOTHING!the whole thing of a better place that you have written...i just want to let you know that you vocalise what i feel everyday everyminute of the day.
    like you said when things like these happen to our friends i used to think this could never happen to me or it was easy to brush it aside by saying thats life or whatever but now...
    i dont know how my life is going to turn out..but like you said i am forever broken..
    i donot know how to console you but i want you to know that i am here..thats not much of a help but you help me a lot by writing what you feel.
    Peace Brother
    Dhanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dhanya. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad my blog is some small way helps express what you are feeling. I understand what you are saying about the cemetery...I go to feel something too...maybe her...maybe God...but I'm met by nothing. It's hard to go from having love poured over you by someone and then have nothing...especially when all your feelings remain the same.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sean
    I feel that God left me too... I was raise Catholic and I was so grateful to God for putting Steve in my life. For him to take Steve the way he did that was really mean, and yes I know Steve didn't take good care of his body but there is way more people that had worst healty habits and they still alive, they got "warnings" (heart attacks..) and they changeed.
    Now I question if God exist and if He does: Is he a loving father or we are just toys to him? I feel bad for thinking this way, for all the "blasphemies" I have said and still saying. I'm afraid that this was suppose to be a test to accept his will and my faith (as I was told by some family members)so I can go to heaven and I failed it.

    Do not worry about being judge for anybody, those who judge you is because they don't understant..

    Take care
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean-

    I cannot imagine what you are feeling and going through as I could not comprehend what life would look like without my wife.

    That said, as a friend of Susan's, I want to encourage you to retain your faith in our God. I don't understand why God called Susan home so quickly, knowing it would hurt you, Luke, Ben and many others. But, His ways are not our ways and He is not always interested in our comfort while shaping us. I believed Susan to be a believer and, as such, believe she is now in heaven. And, while it is clear we will never see her again on "this side", it would be even worse to lose your faith and therefore lose the possibility of seeing her again on the other side.

    I wish I knew what to say and how to help, but I don't. I think the only actions I can take at this point are to encourage you, but not judge, as I could not begin to comprehend the emotions you must feel daily.

    Tony Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myriam-

    If this is a test...I have failed too. But those who have not faced this can easily be secure in their beliefs...we do not have that luxury anymore. Maybe we didn't fail...perhaps we know what they don't...because we have faced death head on. They claim not to judge, but surely they also can't understand...because they have not been forced to confront this kind of loss.

    Faith...God...so easy to accept when you are sleeping next to the one you love...they cannot comprehend what we are feeling...or understand why we have questions. Thank God they can't...I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I did not offend you Sean. This was not my aim. Rather, just the opposite, I want to encourage you and do whatever I can to help you through this awful situation. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

    In the meantime, I'll be praying for you and your boys - for your emotional healing, for your grief passing, for your serenity and peace. May they come to you swiftly.

    And, again, if there is anything I can do to help, I will.

    ReplyDelete