Friday, July 15, 2011

Lives Forever Changed

All my life I have been a thinker...a wonderer...

So whenever ambulances flew past...I always thought...I always wondered...about those inside...those along for the ride.

A pang of saddness would strike as their lights flashed by...as their sirens roared.  The first thought that would take over my mind was that lives had changed...it mattered not if the ride ended with life or death...lives in some way would be forever changed.

Now as ambulances go by...I think of Susan's ride.  She was already gone as the sirens roared...how quiet and difficult that must have been for those inside.  Knowing there was nothing left they could do.  Knowing that lives were forever changed.

Over the last few months...information about that Friday night has slowly leaked in to me. Through a friend's mother...who goes to a dentist...who's hygienist has a brother...who was the paramedic.  I learned he was with Susan on that ride.  I learned that after he saw my two boys in the store...and couldn't save their mother...he had to take a leave of absence.

Lives are surely altered...forever changed...when an ambulance goes roaring by.

2 comments:

  1. I still get chills when I hear those sirens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here...Ray was long gone..there was nothing anybody could have done..

    ReplyDelete