Monday, September 19, 2011

Student of the Week

Today Luke came home so excited.


He had big news...

He had been picked as Student of the Week.


There were pictures to gather and forms to fill out.


He couldn't wait...

He didn't hesitate.


But I did.


I saw question one on his Star Student Sheet...

My family?


One more moment of happiness turned bittersweet.


I choked on my own breath as I watched his little hand write...

Dad...Ben...Me.


And then nothing else.


It seemed effortless...

As if he had done it without thought.


But was that true?


Or was he thinking...

And did he pause for a moment while writing?


I believe he did.


The instant after he wrote that capital M...

His pencil tip seemed to hover a fraction longer...


He seemed to contemplate.


And I wondered...

If he was going to write Mom or Me...


Was he uncertain too?

No comments:

Post a Comment